Recognize words that rhyme with tall (e.g., Do tall and ball rhyme?) and produce rhyme words (e.g., Think of a word that rhymes with tall).
- Balls or crumpled paper
- A large area with a wall
The children will have a relay race using a ball as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with tall, such as all, ball, call, crawl, and small.
Relay race with a ball
- Divide the children into teams and give each team one ball.
- Have one child from each team race to the designated wall and back doing actions as follows:
- Round 1: Hold the ball and crawl.
- Round 2: Hold the ball high above the head and run "tall" with the ball.
- Round 3: Hold the ball and run very small (squatting down and running very low to the ground).
- Repeat the sequence of running to the wall as many times as needed to let every child have a turn.
- While one child from each team races, have the other children who are waiting chant the following phrase:
- Round 1: "Crawl, crawl, crawl with the ball!"
- Round 2: "Tall, tall, tall with the ball!"
- Round 3: "Small, small, small with the ball!"
- Help the children recall the words they heard that rhyme with tall.
Produce words that rhyme with ball
- Remind the children of the words they played with that rhyme with tall.
- Sit in a circle and roll the ball to each other
- When a child receives the ball have them stand up tall and say a word that rhymes with tall (support as needed).
- After the child has shared a rhyming word, have the child pass the ball to another child.
Recognize rhyming words
- Have the children repeat a set of two words (e.g., ball, tall).
- Ask the children to stand up tall if the words rhyme and stay down small if the words do not rhyme (support as needed).
- Repeat with other sets of words: (e.g., call, stall; fall, mall; hall, cat; all, doll; brawl, crawl; wall, truck).
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhyme with tall.
- Two balls
- A large area to run in
Activity: Tall Ball Race
- As you each hold a ball, race back and forth to a designated wall three times.
- 1st time: Crawl with your ball.
- 2nd time: Hold the ball high above your head and run “tall” with your ball.
- 3rd time: Run small with the ball (squat down and run very low to the ground).
- While racing, repeat phrases like, “Crawl, crawl, crawl with the ball!” “Tall, tall, tall with the ball!” and “Small, small, small with the ball!”
- Help your child recall the words he or she heard in the activity that rhyme with tall.
- Sit on the ground across from each other and roll a ball back and forth to each other, saying a word that rhymes with tall each time you pass it.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.
Tall Ball Race