Read and write words with the two long e spellings -ea and -ee.
- Template for the Queen Jean puppet* or the picture of Queen Jean*
- Paper bag (if using the puppet)
- Strips of paper
- Toy food, imaginary food, or pictures of food*
- Queen Jean target text*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
The children will help Queen Jean eat a meal as they read and write words with the two long e spellings -ee and -ea, such as lean, queen, feast, and beans.
Help Queen Jean eat a feast of a meal
- Place out a feast for Queen Jean using toy food, imaginary food, or the food pictures (found below).
- Create a puppet using the template for the Queen Jean puppet (found below). and a paper bag, or use the picture of Queen Jean (found below).
- Comment on how Queen Jean is as lean (skinny) as a green bean.
- Display the Queen Jean target text and read it with the children.
- Let the children act out the target text:
- Tell the queen to please take a seat.
- Read what the queen can eat for her meal at the feast.
- Serve the queen what she will eat: wheat, meat, green peas, green beans, cheese, and a sweet treat.
- Let the queen eat and then leave the feast.
Sort words according to spelling pattern
- Have the children write the words from the text with the long e spellings on strips of paper (e.g., wheat, meat, queen, Jean, feast, seat, read, please, peas, cheese, sweet, treat, leave).
- Using the words that the children wrote, have them sort the words according to the -ea and -ee spellings.
Read target words and patterns introduced in the text
- Engage the children in reading Queen Jean (found below).
- Instruct the children to find and underline each of the -ee and -ea words.
- Read the text again, fading support.
Write about the activity using target words and patterns
- Suggest foods that Queen Jean can eat and let the children list the menu items: meat, beans, peas, treats, sweet wheat, and beets.
- Let the children write other -ee and -ea words from dictation (e.g., lean, queen, feast, meal, beast, seat, read, please, leave).
- Let the children write about Queen Jean (e.g., Queen Jean is as lean as a green bean. Queen Jean can eat a sweet treat at a feast. Queen Jean likes a meal of cheese and peas. Queen Jean leaves her seat at the feast.").
SEEL Target Texts
Queen Jean Eats a Meal