Program Entrance Application


Declare Your Pre-Major


Complete an Educator Application


Create a Graduation Plan

1. Declare Your McKay School Pre-major

Declare your pre-major online by completing the following steps:

  1. Go to
  2. Sign in with your Net ID and password
  3. In the "Tools" section on the left-hand side of the screen, select "Change Major Request"
  4. Click "Request a change of major"
  5. Choose your desired pre-major from the drop down
  6. Check the applicable check boxes and click "Submit." It may take a few days for your request to be processed

You can also contact the Advisement Center by phone, email, or in person to declare your pre-major.

2. Complete an Educator Application


Elementary Education

Early Childhood Education

Special Education

Physical Teaching & Education Teaching

*Communication Disorders

Application Deadline

Feb 15 & Oct 1

Feb 15 & Oct 1

Feb 5

Feb 15

Apr 15

*The Communication Disorders Program follows a different application process. Click on the following link to see the instructions:

The next step is to apply to your program. To do this, a student must fulfill all general program requirements for their program and an online program entrance application must be completed in the Educator Preparation and Licensure System. To complete a program entrance application:

  1. Log in to
  2. Select the “Applications” tab
  3. Select “Start a New Application”
  4. Follow checklist items & submit when completed

General Program Requirements


  • Minimum of 20 in English
  • Minimum of 19 in Math
  • Minimum of 5 in Writing


  • Minimum of 450 in Verbal
  • Minimum of 450 in Math
  • Minimum of 4 in Writing

Praxis Core for Educators with the following scores

  • 156 Reading (subtest #5712)
  • 132 Writing (subtest #5722)
  • 150 Mathematics (subtest #5732)
  • Earned a minimum 3.0 total high school or college GPA (whichever is most recent)
  • Complete and pass the BCI/FBI fingerprint background check
  • Complete all other pre-teaching major requirements (Click each major under the application deadlines for more information)
  • Successfully pass one of the basic skills tests listed below:

3. Declare Your Major

Once accepted into the program, you will receive an email confirming that you have been accepted into the major. The advisement center will then remove your pre-major and add the major to your records. Any teaching minors that you wish to declare will be added at this time or upon request.

Note: All McKay School students are encouraged to meet with an advisor to create a Graduation Plan.

Other Teaching Major & Minors

The McKay School of Education coordinates with other colleges to additionally provide services and advisement for many secondary education majors. A secondary major incorporates both the content instruction and professional education courses required to be eligible for teacher licensure.

Please note that secondary education students should declare their teaching major and seek advisement in the college advisement center responsible for their respective teaching major. Thus, they will graduate with a teaching degree in their major college: for example, students majoring in English teaching will graduate in the College of Humanities with a bachelor's degree in English teaching.

Questions related to student teaching, internships, or licensing should always be addressed to the Education Advisement Center, 350 MCKB.

Visit Secondary Education Majors and Minors for a complete list of all the teaching majors and minors available.

How to add a Teaching Minor

You can only declare a teaching minor once you have been accepted into a teaching major program. The McKay School of education offers the following minors:

Design Thinking

Physical Education Teaching/Coaching


Students must contact their major advisement center to declare a minor. Specific questions about one of the minors offered by the McKay School of Education can be directed to the Education Advisement Center.

Graduate Teaching Programs

The Education Advisement Center does not advise for these programs, but we refer students and prospective students to the respective program pages listed under “Degrees” for more information.

Click here fore more information